Does Palo Alto (VM) firewall supported in VirtualBox?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Does Palo Alto (VM) firewall supported in VirtualBox?

L1 Bithead
Has anyone managed to installed and run Palo Alto (VM) firewall successfully in VirtualBox?

I've been trying to setup my own lab for learning purposes. Basically, this lab contains client, firewall, and server with different network segment.

Client --> Firewall --> Server

I managed to install it but can't make it work on network part. Only "host-only" setting for Palo Alto management interface is working while other interfaces not.

As example, I can't ping from client to the firewall interface (ethernet1/1) where VirtualBox interface is set to internal on both guest OS.

PA-VM 8 v1.jpg

I've just watched Udemy video created by Rassoul Ghaznavi Zadeh (Last updated 2/2017) and he said VirtualBox is not supported.
https://www.udemy.com/palo-alto-firewalls-installation-configuration-management/

I hope this not true or there is some good development since the video hasn't been updated since last year.
1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@prenatip,

VirtualBox isn't, and has never been, a supported hypervisor. 

Depending on your VM-Series model you can run the VM on ESXi, KVM, Hyper-V, AWS, AZURE, NSX, or SDX. You can find more information about which hypervisor will run which VM in the documentation on this PAGE

The only sucessful install on virtualbox I've ever seen was when they built a 'lab in a box' type of install with a VM-Series and GNS3 running on the local host; but that takes a lot of playing and I haven't seen that with a current PAN-OS version at all, so I'm not sure it would actually still function. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!