Does the firewall cache downloaded files?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Does the firewall cache downloaded files?

L3 Networker

I'm doing some bandwidth testing and need to know if the firewall caches downloaded files and if so where can I find the documentation for this and any settings.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@MikeSangray2019 wrote:

If I download a file does the firewall cache it for a period of time in case anyone else tries to download the same file? So instead of re-downloading the same file from the Internet, the firewall would just serve the cached file for the second download.

No, the firewall simply provides the content as allowed by security policy in an established session.  Another user, from a different IP address will have a different session.  Provided that content doesn't match a malicious hash for "known bad" content that file will be downloaded from the source as many times as requested by a machine requesting it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Are you referring files show under Data logs?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

I don't know what you mean by "files show under Data logs".

Under Monitor there is Data logs just as traffic logs.

When you say file cache which files are you referring to?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

If I download a file does the firewall cache it for a period of time in case anyone else tries to download the same file? So instead of re-downloading the same file from the Internet, the firewall would just serve the cached file for the second download.

L6 Presenter

@MikeSangray2019 wrote:

I'm doing some bandwidth testing and need to know if the firewall caches downloaded files and if so where can I find the documentation for this and any settings.

No, it does not.

@MikeSangray2019 wrote:

No, the firewall simply provides the content as allowed by security policy in an established session.  Another user, from a different IP address will have a different session.  Provided that content doesn't match a malicious hash for "known bad" content that file will be downloaded from the source as many times as requested by a machine requesting it.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!