EIGRP?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

EIGRP?

L0 Member

I probably already know the answer to this, but I have to ask anyway.  Does PA support EIGRP for dynamic routing? :smileyconfused:

-mike

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hi Mike,

EIGRP is a Cisco proprietary protocol. The dynamic routing protocols supported on the PAN are RIPv2, OSPF and BGP.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L5 Sessionator

Hi Mike,

EIGRP is a Cisco proprietary protocol. The dynamic routing protocols supported on the PAN are RIPv2, OSPF and BGP.

Cisco is opening Eigrp right now link

I hope PAN will in the next future develop its version of Eigrp (IETF as an Informational RFC - this means that algorithm core will remain Cisco proprietary).

This could be a interesting feature, much faster, simpler and reliable than ospf/rip.

Nice! I did not know that! I never thought I'd see them open up EIGRP

L4 Transporter

So if an answer's incorrect but is marked answered, what's the procedure?

what is done is done 🙂 no turning back

Post a reply to alert us of any issues you encounter so we can review and resolve.

Thanks,

PAN Agent

I had no idea they were opening it up. Interesting. I wonder how PAN will react.

We are coming up on one year since the announcement by Cisco and PAN's reaction is the same as every other vendor, ignore this faux open standard.

Many have commented on the issues but they basically boil down to these main problems with the Cisco EIGRP "open" standard. This is only an informational RFC on the state of a basic feature set.  Cisco is NOT giving the EIGRP over to a standards body in any sense of the term.  They maintain control of all future development and they held back any of the advanced features they did not want to see competition on i.e. dmvpn implementations.

This whole setup essentially means that EIGRP is still a proprietary standard with only a subset "open" for implementation by the industry.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

So to reply to myself, I think Steven Puluka 's answer sufficiently refutes me saying that "EIGRP isn't proprietary" so it worked itself out! 🙂

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!