External Dynamic Lists requires "google-app-engine" ??

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

External Dynamic Lists requires "google-app-engine" ??

L4 Transporter

Greetings

On PAN-OS 7.1.8 configuring EDL is giving some unexpected results -

I have an application based security policie set for my PA management IP addresses to fetch the updates i.e. "paloalto-updates, widlfire, pan-db-cloud, ssl and web-browsing" with service set to application default.  No profile actions set to block.

After populating the EDL with the lists from http://panwdbl.appspot.com, I went on to one of the added lists and tried "Test Source URL" and the return message was "URL access error".

As a test,

- Set the service route configuration to use my external interface - "URL access error"

- Then created an open policy for the management IP addresses with "any" "any" and the test source URL works returning "source URL is accessbile".

Looking at the logs, I noticed the session to start on web-browsing and then move to "google-app-engine" when contacting 216.58.198.244 (panwdbl.appspot.com/lists).

So deleted my wide open policy and amended the application based policy by adding "google-app-engine", set my service route back to use the management interface.  Commit the configuration and it works.  Google-app-engine's default ports are TCP 443 and 80

Looking in to the logs, it uses "google-app-engine" to speak to the website - is this expected behaviour?

I find this to be abnormal unless I have missed a very basic point somewhere.

Any ideas / thoughts will be helpful.

Thanks

KP

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

"Google App Engine is a platform for developing and hosting web applications in Google-managed data centers."

This is to be expected as that is what the website is built upon. I'm not positive if it's supposed to hit that app id but looking through my logs I can see that plenty of my users get the same ID when accessing websites hosted on the platform. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!