External access question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

External access question

L1 Bithead

Hi, I am a network admin and sometimes SQL admin. I have been asked to allow a consultant to build a database reporting server on our network. He will VPN into our network through a Palo Alto firewall and use RDP to access a single non-domain server called "Reports." A firewall rule will control this access. On the Reports server, the consultant will log in with a non-admin account, but have db-owner rights to SQL Server. He will use SQL Server to connect with two other SQL Servers on the network with read-only permissions.

Does anyone see any holes in this scheme? I want to make sure the consultant can't do anything else on the internal network except build a database on Reports and query/collect data on the two other SQL servers. I don't have much control over the security configuration of the consultants computer. Should I go so far as to isolate the Reports server on a Palo Alto controlled subnet?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Sounds like a good plan. I would even try to microsegment that server into its own zone. You could even get crazier and have them have their own VPN profile, but that is overkill.

Regards,

View solution in original post

L4 Transporter

I would put the reports server in it's own ZONE (or your DMZ at a push) and only allow the required traffic from that ZONE to the SQL server on the production network.

Rob

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Sounds like a good plan. I would even try to microsegment that server into its own zone. You could even get crazier and have them have their own VPN profile, but that is overkill.

Regards,

L4 Transporter

I would put the reports server in it's own ZONE (or your DMZ at a push) and only allow the required traffic from that ZONE to the SQL server on the production network.

Rob

Thanks Otakar and Robin,

It's reassuring to hear your positive feedback on this design. I will also create the zone...first time zone for me, but I should be able to follow the design of a similar zone already in place.

Thanks!

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!