GP Error "Server certificate verification failed"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GP Error "Server certificate verification failed"

Dear community

After updating GP to version 2.1.0 I get the message "Server certificate verification failed" when trying to connect.
The same connection with GP version 2.0.4 works fine. The reason for updating is OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

I can't see any errors on the box or the client.

Does anybody have an idea?

Box is a PA-2050 running PanOS 5.0.12

The certificate is issued by RapidSSL and valid.

Tnx,

Chris

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

12 REPLIES 12

L6 Presenter

Hi,

can you check if fqdn is used on gw ip(Global protect config)

L6 Presenter

I mean the one on Global protect Portal (Client Config) Gateways tab.

Hi,

yes, there is the ip, no option to use an fqnd. (gw config on the box)

The client uses the fqdn matching the certificate.

Using the ip on the client works, but only the a certificate alert (as is should)

if you use fqdn here like client you will not get that error.Can you try that

If I'm using the fqnd on the client, I get the error "Server certificate verification failed" and the connection fails.

Fqdn.png

Great! Solved my problem. Thank you very much panos HULK

L6 Presenter

Hi KST,

GPC behavior is changed in 2.1.0. Where gateway certificate is also checked for CN name validation.

As suggested earlier, make sure Gateway cert CN name matches with Gateway configured on Portal.

Lets say Portal says Gateway should be "FQDN HERE". Than CN name "FQDN HERE" should be reflected in certificate.

Bottom line is both has to be a FQDN or IP address.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hello Kst,

Please make sure you have complete certificate chain in the certificates. Add the trusted root certificate in the 'Trusted root certificate column' of the portal. Most importantly, as I have seen in other cases, please check if the portal/gateway certificate has common name as IP or FQDN. You must match the same in the Portal Config>Client Configuration>Gateways>External gateways>Address. Also when the user connects, they must use the same IP/FQDN in the portal address field.

Let us know how it works.

Regards,

Dileep

Hello Dileep

The missing fqdn in the config with the changed behavior of gp 2.1.0 was the solution.

A missing intermediate was also my first intension, but wasn't the problem.

- Chris

You are right Chris! Usually with GP, these are some key things that I ensure with respect to certificates, so just wanted to emphasize that it is taken care. Like we all discussed, the culprit here is the match in the address field for IP/FQDN.

Thanks,

Dileep

• 1 accepted solution
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!