Getting Syslog in through PA 500

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Getting Syslog in through PA 500

Not applicable

I have a router just outside my PAN 500, ver 4.0.5. I need to get syslog information in from it for my PCI requirements. Here is my setup:

The following objects are defined:

INT-NPM               Syslog server, IP address 172.15.10.8

TWC-RTR              Router, 197.148.156.124

TWC-NPM             NAT address for INT-NPM, 197.148.156.150

TWC-NAT              Internal NAT for TWC internet comm; 197.148.156.253

Services: Syslog: 514/TCP and Syslog-UDP: 514/UDP

The following policies are defined:

NAT:

Internal to External, no dest int, Source INT-NPM, any dest, any service, IP: static-ip, Translated Address: TWC-NPM, BI-dir YES.

Security:

External to ANY, User ANY, HIP Profile ANY, Dest zone Internal, address WTC-NPM, Any application, both Syslog services, action ALLOW

What I get in the traffic log when I force a change that results in a syslog-able event, is this:

Time, drop, frm External, to Internal, source 197.148.156.124, destination 197.148.156.150, to port 514, action deny.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I had it setup the same as my exchange server (different services) but it always seemed ot deny the traffic (falling down to my catch-all rule). I've tried teh destination as the external NAT address and teh internal address in the security rule: neither seems to work.

Message was edited by: rhanna@lamadeleine.com

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

Hi...TWC-NPM was given IP 197.148.156.150, and the traffic log reported destination 198.148.156.150.  Could it be the router is pointing to the wrong IP for the syslog server?

Unfortunatyely that was me mis-typing the IP address here, not in the PA. Sorry.

Your NAT and security rules appear to be correct.  I recommend you contact Support and open a case.  Thanks.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!