Global Protect on Mobile Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect on Mobile Devices

L3 Networker

GP v2.0.1.  Successful authentication is based on a particular AD user group.  If the user is not part of the group, he/she would be able to connect.  We want to implement this solution for smart devices.. however, how can we control who connects and who doesn't?  we don't want a user with a personal device to be able to connect to the portal/gateway.  Is there a way to lock this down further?  without client certificates.  we want to have control on who can connect on their personal device.  Some exceptions, but not all users.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

No, just the common part of the hostname. See my example screenshot above. So every device starts with the common part of the hostname iPhone-7CC53795BECF- the rest of the hostname can be unique.

Example: iPhone-7CC53795BECF-Device001

With HIP your checking hostname with qualifier "Contains" iPhone-7CC53795BECF

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

L4 Transporter

You could use HIP for that purpose. Only if the device is "compliant" it is able to connect.For example Insert a hidden registry entry for the devices you want to connect, then check that registry entry with HIP.

I could do that..however, how could I do that for IOS and Android devices wanting to connect?

Quick and dirty for mobile devices you could configure a hostname and let HIP check for that. With PAN MSM you have more options available for that purpose. With MSM you can check whether a device is managed, if yes allow access.

Capture.JPG.jpg

Capture.JPG.jpg

MSM requires additional Hardware and licensing but you get a complete Mobile Device Management Solution.

additional HW?  currently running 3000 series FW

MSM is an additional Appliance GP-100 Overview - Palo Alto Networks

Configuring and checking  hostnames on your mobile devices does not require MSM.

so I will need to know and then add all hostnames from the smart devices?

No, just the common part of the hostname. See my example screenshot above. So every device starts with the common part of the hostname iPhone-7CC53795BECF- the rest of the hostname can be unique.

Example: iPhone-7CC53795BECF-Device001

With HIP your checking hostname with qualifier "Contains" iPhone-7CC53795BECF

ok, thanks.. makes sense

this wont affect the laptops/desktops that connect?

It does not as long as you define the OS in the HIP Object, see screenshot above.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!