Global Protect pangps log messages - What to watch for

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect pangps log messages - What to watch for

L1 Bithead

Our company just finished a rollout of the Global Protect client to all of our locations.  Now we are getting occasional complaints about disconnects/reconnect and other assorted odd behaviour.  Much of this is just users looking for something to blame and out team is tasked with supporting the clients, but we were not involved in the set-up/configuration of the system.  Fortunately the client log level is set to debug and pangps and pangpa are quite verbose when it comes to logging at that level.  I have noticed that the messages all have a code assosiated with them and I was looking for either documentation on what the codes represent or some practical advice as to which messages to keep an eye out for.

For example:  Info code 760 indicates that the vpn timed out.   Debug code 5139 tells me that the client successfully connected to an internal gateway and 2533 to an external gateway.

So if I run

FindStr /C:"Debug(2533)" /C:"Debug(5139)" "C:\Program Files\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\PanGPS.log"

I can get a list of each time the client connected.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Not aware of a master document for the log codes.

But this kb article nicely outlines a solid troubleshooting process on Global Protect issues.  It also collects all the common problems into one location with links to the remediation procedure.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Troubleshooting-GlobalProtect/ta-p/75770

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

Not aware of a master document for the log codes.

But this kb article nicely outlines a solid troubleshooting process on Global Protect issues.  It also collects all the common problems into one location with links to the remediation procedure.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Troubleshooting-GlobalProtect/ta-p/75770

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!