GlobalProtect and Microsoft NCSI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect and Microsoft NCSI

L7 Applicator

When users are connected to GP they are unable to search online templates from both word and visio.

it works OK when connected to LAN and we have a test policy that allows all outgoing traffic for myself and I still cannot search the online templates via GP.

I think this has something to do with MS NCSI, as the VPN client has no default gateway.

perhaps someone else has experienced this or has a solution.

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Have you checked the logs to see if/where the traffic is getting blocked? Sometimes SSL decryption has a funny way of breaking things.

Regards,

Yes @OtakarKlier i have tried some diagnostics including the ssl decryption, we have a no decrypt policy for microsoft url’s.

i am running wireshark on the client and when we select “search online templates” we see no obvious packets being sent at that time. 

It may be that something is being attempted or checked when visio/word is first opened, i will capture from start and look/monitor again.

thanks.

OK as first suspected, this may have something to do with NCSI or microsoft network location awareness.

if GP connects via wifi to my isp router then the "search for online templates " is greyed out.

If GP connects via LAN connection to my isp router the option is available.

could anybody explain the above behaviour...

I am aware of this issue reported here..  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/2014/03/24/office-2013-rep...

to confirm...

no split tunnels.

DHCP is set on both wifi and LAN adapter.

to ensure consistency, i have made both of the connections via the same gateway.

even random or wild guesses would be welcome... I have probably tried most of them.....

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!