GlobalProtect client doesn't inform the user that the portal/gateway connection is timing out

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect client doesn't inform the user that the portal/gateway connection is timing out

L4 Transporter

In my testing of the GlobalProtect client (I'm using the latest stable, 1.2.1), I noticed that if for any reason the connection to the GP portal or gateway times out (e.g. the user's laptop isn't connected to the Internet, doesn't have the correct IP address, doesn't have the cable plugged in, etc etc) the client will never actually inform the user that their connection attempt failed because of a timeout or something that's more user friendly, something like "the GlobalProtect gateway doesn't appear to be available. Please check your wireless or network connection cable, and contact the helpdesk at 1-800-MY-COMPANY if you are still unable to connect."

This is using GlobalProtect in OnDemand mode, and I basically have all the menu options turned off when a right click of the GlobalProtect icon in the system tray is done (I want to keep things simple for the planned initial rollout of GlobalProtect). When the user right clicks and selects 'Connect' the little globe spins and then just stops... there's no feedback to the user other than that.

After submitting a case to PA's tech support, I was informed to my surprise that I should submit a feature request for this. When I get a feature request submitted, if you'd like to be added to it, I guess the procedure is for other customers to ask their SE to be added to the feature request.

I kind of feel like I've been on a quest for the past year (since I started at my current company) to get GlobalProtect production ready so we can start piloting it to actual users....

2 REPLIES 2

L0 Member

let me know what you find out.   I myself have had some issues when a user connects and does RDP.   The logs show:

"too many packets from driver, pausing processing"  and I temporarily lose connection to the RDP session, even though the systemtray icon still shows me connected

I am having the same issue with one of my remote users, but he is not using RDP.  Did anyone find anything?

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!