GlobalProtect connection problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect connection problems

L0 Member

GlobalProtect version 3.1.6-19. 

Windows Server 2012 R2 ver 6.3 (Build 9600)

Hi there,

We' ve a server in the remote network that we reach with GP, we regularly (mostly hourly) pull data from that server. There is a windows service that we wrote to do this pull data process. The GP is must be running and connected in order for the service to pull data from the database. We want to be able to the GP connection to last for a long time without any connection lost. But there are several problems about software:

Whenever a VPN connection is lost for any reason (network error or user interaction), the connection fails when I try to reconnect. I' ve to reinstall the app to reconnect successfully. Could this error be caused by the OS I'm using?

Also, when another user logout from the server (remote or local) again vpn connection is lost. Is there a process that will cause the vpn connection to break while users logout?

any suggestion to solve these problems? 

thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

@cansurmeli I did not clarify which PanOS version you run, but Global Protect client 3.1.6 is quite old and no longer supported software (EOL May 2018), so it is unsurprising you are having issues. 

Additioanlly, GPis designed for end users and not really for server use. Even though it may work, officially according to the below Windows Server 2012 does not support the GP app: 

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/compatibility-matrix/globalprotect/where-can-i-install-the-globalp...

Maybe a better option would be to use IPSec VPN, rather than global protect. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

@cansurmeli I did not clarify which PanOS version you run, but Global Protect client 3.1.6 is quite old and no longer supported software (EOL May 2018), so it is unsurprising you are having issues. 

Additioanlly, GPis designed for end users and not really for server use. Even though it may work, officially according to the below Windows Server 2012 does not support the GP app: 

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/compatibility-matrix/globalprotect/where-can-i-install-the-globalp...

Maybe a better option would be to use IPSec VPN, rather than global protect. 

@cansurmeli,

Going to agree with @BatD and say that what you are describing is not best supported by GlobalProtect. I would work with remote network to get a b2b site-to-site tunnel setup between networks. You would only need access to the one server and they can restrict your access through their firewall just as easily as they can with GlobalProtect. This would be a better solution for what you are doing. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!