GlobalProtect uninstall problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

GlobalProtect uninstall problem

L2 Linker

Hi,

Our user have a problem with GlobalProtect client on a computer running Windows 8. Client was behaving very unpredictable (constantly connecting and disconnecting from the VPN), so it is uninstalled (from Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features - Uninstall a program).

Now, when attempting to install the new GP client he gets

problem.png

He rebooted the computer several times, deleted the file C:\Program Files\Palo Alto, deleted all traces of Palo Alto in the registry, deleted GP adapter in Network Connections, but the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have any idea what else to try?

A small note, GP client behaves well on other computers.

Tnx,

BR,

Vesna.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Try to delete the Service with command prompt and the "sc" tool.

I think it should be like this -> "sc \\localhost delete PanGPS"

Here a link with other methods to uninstall the service: How do I uninstall a Windows service if the files does not exist anymore? - Stack Overflow

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

L6 Presenter

Yes, problem is that he deleted the folder C:\Program Files\Palo Alto so PanGPUninstall.exe no longer exists.

maybe copying that folder from another computer will do somehting ? (not sure)

L4 Transporter

Try CCleaner (free software). May CCleaner will find something.

Also, check if the PanGPS Service and PanGPA is running. Stop and close it before trying to install the new GP.

L6 Presenter

Do you see any PAN services in services.msc ?

If yes, than there is something left.

L5 Sessionator

Hi Vesna,

Could you please try to delete registry for GP found under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\, reboot and try to re-install the software again. Hope this helps. Thank you.

Thank you all for your help. I am waiting for response from the client.

if not give this a go it replaced the Ms installer clean up utility

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

thanks

L4 Transporter

With uninstalling on Windows, I always use Revo Uninstaller, to make sure I don't run into issues like this.

The program grabs everything it can find related to the program you want to uninstall, including the registry.

Very useful..

Hi,

thank you all very much.

Attempts:

- copying that folder from another computer - did not help

- CCleaner - did not help

- check if the PanGPS Service and PanGPA is running:

1.png

- delete registry for GP - he did

- https://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 - does anyone have a suggestion what to write as the product code?

2.png

- Revo Uninstaller - waiting for feedback from users

BR,

Vesna.

is this an option for that system : using system restore to the date before first install ?

Try to delete the Service with command prompt and the "sc" tool.

I think it should be like this -> "sc \\localhost delete PanGPS"

Here a link with other methods to uninstall the service: How do I uninstall a Windows service if the files does not exist anymore? - Stack Overflow

Hi Vesna,

I was able to find following product code for my GP.

"{FC2E0A7E-375A-4F25-9B52-3DC32321775B}"

reg.JPG

Hope this helps. Thank you.

sc delete PanGPS helped!

Thank you all very much!

BR,

Vesna.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!