Globalprotect MFA with RSA secureID with Radius

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Globalprotect MFA with RSA secureID with Radius

I have a customer who is trying to configure MFA in GP with RSA SecureID server with Radius server profile (Not the MFA profile that was introduced with 8.1).

The first factor should be user name and password and the second factor should be an OTP token.

Both username, passowrd and token should be validated by the RSA server.

I have done the configuration by following the below KB

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/8-0/globalprotect-admin/authentication/set-up-two-fa...

Now when i try to authenticate GP shows only the first step (Password), and it does not prompt for the OTP.

So i need to know if there is a configuration on GP to enable the OTP popup?

Also if am using an email/SMS token, the firewall should send a request first in order for the token to be generated, is there is a way to configure this method in PA?

also is there is a behavior change between 8.0 and 8.1 in the way GP handles MFA with Radius server profile?

10 REPLIES 10

L7 Applicator

I think you are getting confused, the KB listed is 2 factor auth, not multi factor.

so what is happening is you are logging into the portal with user and password, the portal then generates a cookie to auth you to the gateway.

if you need multi factor without using MFA, the best you can do is have seperate auth servers on portal and gateways but unfortunately you are using same radius for both passcode and password...

does that make sense?

Yes i tried using seperate auth profiles for portal and gateway and it works.

So you are saying that there is no way to use one authentication profile to do both token and password validation, and this is only available in the new MFA feature?

Thanks

Hi @AbdallaAbdelkhaliq 

What you are asking for is possible. The problem here that GP does not ask for OTP isn't located on the firewall - it is a problem on your RSA server. When your RSA Radius server receives username and password (if the credentials are valid) it needs to reply with an Access-Challenge packet. This way GP would show the OTP prompt. Right now your RADIUS server sends back directly an access-accept packet so the firewall and GP see only a valid authentication without the need to ask for OTP.

How do you make this response challenge happen from the RSA side-  i believe you are exactly correct on this.   I just don't know how/where to do this on the RSA side.

Hello,

Have you looked at the Authentication profiles and sequencing?

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-0/pan-os-admin/authentication/configure-an-authentication...

Might be worth a look. Also support is always around to help out if you need a resolution quicker.

Regards,

I've heard that Palos don't do auth sequences like you would like them to in this specific situation.....it will check for a successful authentication and when it takes, it stops.....it doesn't necessarily go through each one, every time....which is what we are looking for here i believe.

@Remo 

you are spot on here.....very correct.

@Sec101 

Unfortunetely I have no idea on how to configure this on RSA RADIUS side - never used this product

In case anyone wants to read this, I have written a blog that helps with this subject here:

DOTW: MFA and 2FA for GP and NGFW

Please check it out.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Just in case anyone wants to know, I have written a blog about this topic here:

DOTW: MFA and 2FA for GP and NGFW

Be sure to check it out.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!