Guest Access via Captive Portal - problem with page not always appearing

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Guest Access via Captive Portal - problem with page not always appearing

L3 Networker

I have set up a guest wifi network with an access point on an ethernet port of the PAN firewall.  The guest wifi network is unsecured.  I am using a web-form to ensure the guests see our logo, terms, and type in the correct password to proceed.

The setup works most of the time.  On occasion when using this setup via an Apple iOS device (iPhone, iPad) I don't get the portal page and instead receive an error on the idevice, "Hotspot login cannot open the page because the network connection was lost".  I can then only press cancel and it disconnects me from that wifi network.  If I hit cancel and try again, the same problem appears.  When hitting cancel on this the second time, I get presented with "use without internet or use other network".  Now if I click use without internet, and then open Safari and a website I do indeed get the captive portal.

I do not have this problem on any non iOS device (windows laptop, etc).

So, why sometimes does this happen to me?  It is not always repeatable on an iOS device.  I believe this is because the apple device is trying to initially open an HTTPS page.  Does that require me to enable SSL decryption?

17 REPLIES 17

L3 Networker

Here is a capture of my security rules regarding the guest network, in case that helps.

2015-02-04_10-28-34.jpg

L3 Networker

For testing purposes, does anyone know if I can configure the captive portal to be HTTP instead of HTTPS?

I had a similiar issue to where the Captive Portal would display some of the time and I would get the generic browser error page at other times.  Long story short, the Captive Portal interface has a config setting for a threshold as to the number of attempts an IP can make to it within a certain period of time.  For me, it was 1 request every 2 seconds.  We upped this to something like 3 requests every second and the problem went away.

The problem in my case was that when a system came on the network and the user begins typing in their search parameter in the browser bar, the browser would perform a kind of prefetch function for the content as they typed it in.  These requests were being sent to the CP and causing it to hit its threshhold.  Sebsequently, by the time the user presses enter, they would get the generic browser error page about the resource not being able to be reached instead of the CP due to the CP dropping the request.

Hope this helps...someone.

• 17 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!