HA recovery advice after upgrading Active first

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

HA recovery advice after upgrading Active first

L2 Linker

Being a newb and never having updated my Active/Passive HA pair, I took the 4.1.10 release notes at face value. There is no mention of special provisions for HA upgrades so I clicked "install" and now have a 4.1.10 Active member and a mismatched 4.1.7 passive member. Having now read the full product documentation I understand the "proper" way to upgrade an HA pair.

What are my best options for proceeding from here?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Active is passing traffic so now, only recourse is to proceed with your passive upgrade.      

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L6 Presenter

Active is passing traffic so now, only recourse is to proceed with your passive upgrade.      

L2 Linker

I did the same thing too the first time. Smiley Happy

Basically what you want to do is revert the firewall you upgraded, and then when the HA pair is back how they were running 4.1.7, you can start over and follow the proper method.

If I remember correctly, this should work...

1. On active (4.1.10) firewall you upgraded, export the last several configs that the system saved before and after you upgraded the firewall. You can do this from Setup>Export>Export>Config Verison in the GUI. This step is precautionary, just so you have a copy of the config it was running before and after you upgraded the firewall.                   
  2. Next, make sure the running configs are synced in the GUI's Dashboard>HA pane. This will ensure your latest config will be retained on the HA pair.
  3. Suspend your primary (4.1.10) firewall using the Device>HA>Operation Commands>'suspend local device' in the GUI, or the "request high-availability state suspend" from CLI. The 4.1.7 firewall will now be the active firewall.
  4. Now in Device>Software you can install the 4.1.7 software to revert the firewall back. After it reboots, the config (we just synced) from the active 4.1.7 firewall will be pushed over.
  5. Both firewalls are now running the same OS again, and you can make the downgraded firewall the active node again by performing the 'suspend' and 'make functional' procedure on the opposite firewall.

Now you are back to square one, and you can follow this guide for the correct procedure to upgrading a clustered pair:

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!