High Ping times on Speedtest.net and slow web browsing

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

High Ping times on Speedtest.net and slow web browsing

Not applicable

We have been experiencing very high ping times on speedtest.net (6336+ seconds) and very slow web browsing to international websites (National sites appear to be running fast).

(I understand that speedtest.net cheats and sends very small HTML files to determine ping time to sites)

We placed a PC directly on the external side of the firewall and ping times and browsing was fast, but behind the firewall we experienced these problems.  We rebooted the firewall and the problems all went away, ping times fast and browsing speed was fast.

The majority of web traffic goes through a proxy (A service rule to allow port 3128 to a linux proxy) but even allowing traffic direct to the internet from a workstation was showing poor results until the firewall was rebooted.

CPU usage was very low on the dataplane (30% or so).  Around 1500 sessions running through the firewall at the time and had been working fast previously.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might cause this or troubleshooting for this issue?  (I dont want to reboot the firewall if this happens again!)

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

Cause seems to be related to the State of the device but could be various factors :

To name a few:

1>Hardware Link Settings particularly failed Auto-Negotiation >show interface hardware

2>Exhaustion of DataPlane Buffers. : check: >debug dataplane pool statistics

3>Attacks (In some cases)

4>Proxy Reusing a Source Port, which is being used by an existing sessions. > Packet capture and Global counter based Troubleshooting .

Ref :

I would suggest calling up support  if the issue resurfaces for Live Debugging.

-Ameya

Thanks, that is some useful things to check - It seems to be behaving itself for now but I am keeping an eye on it!

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!