How can I filter disabled rules in the 'policies'-tab

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How can I filter disabled rules in the 'policies'-tab

L2 Linker

Hi,

I am quite new with Palo Alto and I try to filter disabled rules, so that I only see the enabled rules. I know that a lot of syntax can be found in the monitoring tab, but since enabled/disabled rules are not in it, I cannot find. It is on the Palo alto itself, not Panorama.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Could you please test this one on policies query

(disabled eq 'yes' )

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L7 Applicator

Hello Johan,

As per my understanding, you will not be able to segregate only disabled rule from the GUI search option. Rather, you can enable "Highlight unused rule" option, it will show you all disabled rule including any other active rule, currently not being used.

But, from the CLI, you can find out all disabled rule by below mentioned command:

admin@DADA> set cli config-output-format set

admin@DADA> configure

Entering configuration mode

admin@DADA# edit rulebase security

[edit rulebase security]

admin@DADA# show | match "disabled yes"

set rulebase security rules test-1 disabled yes   >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rule test-1 is disabled

set rulebase security rules rule2 disabled yes  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rule2 is also disabled

GUI:

unused-rule.JPG

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hi Hulk,

Thanks for your answer, but was not exactly what I meant. The tab 'highlight' is more the used rules since the last reboot, this means enabled and disabled rules. What I try to do is to filter on disabled rules. The reason is that I am busy with a migration from Checkpoint to Palo Alto and have some 200 rules : all the one that I dont need anymore, I disable, but I dont them removed. I try to have the effect that I don't see them anymore in the policy tab within the webui.

thanks and greetz

L6 Presenter

Could you please test this one on policies query

(disabled eq 'yes' )

Thanks Panos. That was what I looked for. Is there somewhere some manual for the syntax ?

Greetz,

johan

I don't think there is one but at least I don't have....

Regards.

L1 Bithead

one other way I found helpful is make use of tags when defining rules and then later on you use these tags in your filter

If you do tag your rules you can then use the below searches to see only disabled, or only enabled.  Note that there is no text between the apostrophes, which represents the 'none' in the tag column, that you cant usually filter on unless you use tags.

I tagged all enabled rules and didn't tag the disabled:

# Show Disabled
(tag/member eq '')

# Show Enabled
(tag/member neq '')

This solution isn't working for me.

If I do: (disabled eq 'yes') - it will show me all 80 disabled rules.

But if I do (disabled eq 'no') - it shows me just 12 out of 160 active rules - one of which is a local rule, the other 11 are Pano rules.  Like the OP, how do I weed out "disabled" rules?  Is there another method?

Same here, I find this command is buggy

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!