How to Block browser extensions

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to Block browser extensions

L1 Bithead

Hello,

Does anybody know if it is possible to block specific browser extensions from being downloaded?

I would like to block the searchencrypt browser extension.

Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Have you enabled SSL Decryption?  Since the Chrome Web Store runs over SSL, and if you're not using SSL Decryption, then your choice becomes permitting all extensions or blocking all extensions.  

However, if you focus on the traffic generated by the "searchencrypt" extension - that's something much easier to target without collatteral damage.  You're not necessarily stopping users from downloading the extension, but these options will prevent the extension from working.  

The easiest way would be to use the URL Filtering engine and block the "proxy-avoidance-and-anonymizers" URL category - that will stop the searchencrypt extension from working.  Two upsides to this method:  1.) it would block other/similar extensions which have been categorized as proxies by our URL filtering engine, and 2.) it can provide some visual feedback through the URL Response Pages.  The error page can be customized to your environment and provide additional information to the user receiving the message. 

Here's a screenshot after blocking that URL category:

searchencrypt.PNG

If you don't have the URL filtering subscription, I believe you can still create custom URL categories.  Add "searchencrypt.com" and "*.searchencrypt.com" to a custom URL category and deny access to that category.  

Another option if you don't have the URL filtering subscription:  create a custom AppID signature.  I configured one that looks for "searchencrypt.com" in the SSL Response Certificate context of the SSL decoder.  Here's a screenshot with most of the information you'd need to create the custom application signature:

searchencrypt2.PNG

And here's a screenshot from the traffic log showing it blocking based on the custom AppID signature:

appid-searchencrypt.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Have you enabled SSL Decryption?  Since the Chrome Web Store runs over SSL, and if you're not using SSL Decryption, then your choice becomes permitting all extensions or blocking all extensions.  

However, if you focus on the traffic generated by the "searchencrypt" extension - that's something much easier to target without collatteral damage.  You're not necessarily stopping users from downloading the extension, but these options will prevent the extension from working.  

The easiest way would be to use the URL Filtering engine and block the "proxy-avoidance-and-anonymizers" URL category - that will stop the searchencrypt extension from working.  Two upsides to this method:  1.) it would block other/similar extensions which have been categorized as proxies by our URL filtering engine, and 2.) it can provide some visual feedback through the URL Response Pages.  The error page can be customized to your environment and provide additional information to the user receiving the message. 

Here's a screenshot after blocking that URL category:

searchencrypt.PNG

If you don't have the URL filtering subscription, I believe you can still create custom URL categories.  Add "searchencrypt.com" and "*.searchencrypt.com" to a custom URL category and deny access to that category.  

Another option if you don't have the URL filtering subscription:  create a custom AppID signature.  I configured one that looks for "searchencrypt.com" in the SSL Response Certificate context of the SSL decoder.  Here's a screenshot with most of the information you'd need to create the custom application signature:

searchencrypt2.PNG

And here's a screenshot from the traffic log showing it blocking based on the custom AppID signature:

appid-searchencrypt.PNG

@jvalentinethanks for your help.

I will try with blocking the url. If that does not work, I will use the other 2 suggestions you explained. 🙂

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!