How to allow a specific file extension

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to allow a specific file extension

L2 Linker

I work for a K-12 school district that uses a program that reads books to students.  The file extension is .kes (KES is a file extension that belongs to Text Files of Kurzweil Educational Systems) and is blocked in our file blocking profile as an Encrypted ZIP file.  Is there any way to allow the .kes file without allowing all Encrypted ZIP files?

Thanks,

Al May

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Hello Al,

Since PAN does not have an option for file type KSE, you may try with customer signature: Follow the header in packet capture and see the type of  request it is.

Creating Custom Threat Signatures

Custom Application Signatures

Thanks

L0 Member

Hello,

Can File Blocking Profiles identify the file extensions? I work in a private secondary school in Portland, OR. What I need is to block all .txt files but one (which is a test instuction for students).

Thank you.

Jeff Stark

Access path: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/want-to-allow-specific-file-name-file-blocking thetermpapers

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!