How to easily switch between multiple GlobalProtect VPN profiles???

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to easily switch between multiple GlobalProtect VPN profiles???

L0 Member

Forgive me if this question has been asked before.  My searches did not turn up any useful items in the discussion groups.  I work for a company who supports multiple customers that use the GlobalProtect VPN.  As an end-user, changing from one VPN portal configuration to another is a bit tedious.   Can you recommend any easy methods for changing the VPN Portal configuration from one customer to the next?   Does Palo Alto Networks provide any tools to easily switch among various VPN profiles? Are there any community developed tools that might help?

I appreciate any helpful hints you're willing to share? 🙂

Thanks.

P.S.

Currently using GlobalProtect version 4.0.0-90

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Wow yes good point.

never really looked into this as not a requirement for our company.

we used to have several profiles for previous services nortel.. avaya... cisco etc.. but this was for failover...

this is no longer a requirement since globalprotect, with the cached portal and gateway priority etc...

as an admin person i do need to switch from a selection of 6 portals... i have tried various options including a script that modifies the reg for the last portal address but this also needs to restart the pangps service and probably not the best solution for end users.

currently i just keep all portal addresses in a desktop text file and just copy and paste as required, but for 2 of our portals this is not possible as gp app is set to not allow user to change portal. So back to reg option.

our external support companies are also GP users for many contracts and some of them have resorted to a VM for each site.

it would be great to have a profile option but PA must have decided not to.

unless somebody else knows another option...

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@YoyoBandalore,

You can script this easily enough and build a nice little GUI around it; or you could purchase a product called 'Global Protect Switcher' that is already custom built for you. Because I'm cheap, I've always simply built a powershell script that does everything for me and put it in a folder on my desktop, but I can see why some wouldn't like this solution. 

You can find the product mentioned HERE, note that I would take the trial option first since 4.* isn't actually listed as being supported. The Powershell option is free and easy enough to accomplish if you know the process of switching portals, and building a small GUI wouldn't take that long. 

@BPry... Nice one...

in creating the powershell script does it include the restart of the PanGPS service, or have i missed something obvious.

@Mick_Ball,

I do but I'll be honest I'm not sure you actually need to. 

@BPry @YoyoBandalore @Mick_Ball

I would like to see them change the GP client so that you can have more than one portal configured on it like the old Cisco vpn client because I have to be able to access different ones 

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!