How to know peak throughput using on palo?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to know peak throughput using on palo?

L0 Member

Hi

From command "show system statistics session" , we can see real-time throughput value.

Is there a way to know or collect those value ?, we want to see the maximum/peak throughput been using on palo.

From what i think.  (not sure if we can do these method?)
1. Is there a way to using API to collect throughput value , then we can plot them on excel?
2. Is tech support file collect all throughput value?
3. Is monitoring tool can collect throughput value from palo? and how?

Please share your method.
Thank you very much

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

"> show session info " output contains current throughput, packet rate etc. You can fetch this via xml api and plot it. However this is not historic or average value and shows the value at that point.

You can also use netflow to send interface based statistics. : https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/61/pan-os/pan-os/reports-and-logging/monitor-the-fire...

CLI can be used as well to check live packet rate on each interface:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-Check-Throughput-of-Interfaces/ta-p/...

However this is not something you can fetch using a monitoring tool.

Hi

I've some problem with my script. I'm currently using shell script which call api on PA-5020 and get the throughput value via command "show session info"

the problem is .. It's show throughput only on dp0 !!!!

How to make command to show all dataplane?

or we can just multiply value we get .. ie.  get throughput from dp0 = 1000kbps then we can multiply it with 4 (four dataplane in total) so we get overall throughput on all dataplane = 4000kbps ........ Is this really ok?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@ThaiAirasia,

Look into Pan(w)achrome extension from Chrome. This allows you to view some historical info but it doesn't really store it for you unless the extension is running. 

If you just want to keep the info then script it up in the API and dump the output to a file repository so that you can view it later when you need to. 

This is my script 

bin/bash
tp=$(curl -k -s 'https://1.1.1.1/api/?type=op&cmd=<show><session><info></info></session></show>&key=AAA' | grep kbps)

as i told , this command is not working due to it show only *.dp0. (so value we get is lesser than the real throughput -_-). Not sure if we can do another command api.

ps. i'm creater of this post . just don't know why account name is change like that.

L4 Transporter

You can set the system setting target-dp to each one: (applicable to platforms with multiple DPs)

set system setting target-dp dp0

show session info

set system setting target-dp dp1

show session info

set system setting target-dp dp2

show session info

set system setting target-dp none

Extract values from each and then add. 

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!