How to limit concurrent GlobalProtect connections per user

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to limit concurrent GlobalProtect connections per user

L7 Applicator

Hi communit

So far it isn't possible to limit the concurrent GlobalProtect connections per user directly in PAN-OS. There is a feature request #4603 for which you can vote and wait/hope that this will be implemented.

If you need a solution (workaround) right now, once more the PAN-OS API is your friend. Because we (like probably some or a lot og admins here) had the problem, that we had users, specially from external suppliers, who shared their accounts and so they logged in multiple times. So I wrote this little powershell script. The script needs to be configured as scheduled task to run every minute for example. Every time the script runs it checks the connected Global Protect users and then kicks out users that are logged in multiple times. If you want, you can also specify the number of allowed concurrent logins per user with the variable $maxlogins. This way you're able to kick out users that are logged in more than 3 times for example.

[System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12;

$apikey = "INSERT_API_KEY_HERE"
$firewall = "FIREWALL_HOSTNAME_OR_IP"
$gpgateway = "GLOBAL_PROTECT_GATEWAY_NAME"
$maxlogins = 1

Function callApiOp ($firewall, $param) {
    $request = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
    $apiurl = "https://" + $firewall + "/api/?key=" + $apikey + "&type=op&cmd=" + $param
    return [xml]$request.DownloadString($apiurl)
}

$param = "<show><global-protect-gateway><current-user><gateway>" + $gpgateway + "</gateway></current-user></global-protect-gateway></show>"
$logins = callApiOp $firewall $param
$logins = $logins.response.result.entry | sort 'login-time-utc'
$loginevents = @{}
foreach ($event in $logins) {
    $username = $event.username
    if ($loginevents.ContainsKey($username)) {
        $loginevents.($username) = $loginevents.($username) + 1

}
    else {
        $loginevents.Add($username,1)
    }
}
foreach ($user in $loginevents.GetEnumerator()) {
    $forcelogout = $logins | Where-Object {$_.username -eq $user.key}
    $userstologout = $user.Value - $maxlogins
    for ($i=0;$i -lt $userstologout; $i++) {
        if ($forcelogout.count -eq $null) {
            $domain = $forcelogout.domain
            $computer = $forcelogout.computer
            $username = $forcelogout.username
        }
        else {
            $domain = $forcelogout[$i].domain
            $computer = $forcelogout[$i].computer
            $username = $forcelogout[$i].username
        }
        $logoutparam = "<request><global-protect-gateway><client-logout><gateway>" + $gpgateway + "-N</gateway><reason>force-logout</reason><user>" + $username + "</user><computer>" + $computer + "</computer>"
        if ($domain -ne "") {
            $logoutparam += "<domain>" + $domain + "</domain>"
        }
        $logoutparam += "</client-logout></global-protect-gateway></request>"

$status = callApiOp $firewall $logoutparam
        if ($status.response.result.response.status -eq "success") {
            write-host "Logged out user $username from computer $computer"
        }
        else {
            $msg = "Could not logout " + $username + " from computer " + $computer + " because of the following error: " + $status.response.result.response.error
            Write-Host $msg
        }

}
}

Maybe this helps at least some of you, or at least gives another idea for the almost countless use cases of the PAN-OS API.

Feedback is appreciated 😉

Regards,

Remo

35 REPLIES 35

L1 Bithead

This script is awesome, thank you for such a contribution. Let me ask you something, it is possible the script disconnect the second connection not the first one? I was making some test and it disconnects the first connection and the company requirement is the second one.

Hi everyone

Until now there is not a way to limit user with the NFGW. 

We are trying to use this script, but we cannot logout the users.

the script runs and also display the users that are logout, but we made some test and the users are still conected. Could you help us with this? We try with On demand configuration and User-Logon on the APP of Global Protect but nothing happens. 

Hi @StephanyeHidalgo 

Whith PAN-OS version are you using? I created the script already quite a while ago, so it might be possible that the logout API call is no slightly different and because of that the logout does not work. Maybe tomorrow I can do some short tests with PAN-OS 9.1.8 and if required I can update the script.

L7 Applicator

Hi all

I updated the script slightly with some more lines and a hopefully helpful output in case of errors. I tested the script on a firewall running PAN-OS 9.1.9 with a global protect deployment that has SAML as authentication configured. With another check regarding other authentication methods where the domain attribute may be is there it should still work in such deployments. So if anyone is going to use the script, feel free to get back to me in case of problems or other feedback.

(I updated the script in the first post of this topic)

hello,
I am running the script the same as the one you posted but I have some errors.
that script still works with version 9 of palo alto and from a powershell 2016

hola,
yo estoy ejecutando el script igual al que publicaste pero tengo algunos errores.
ese script aun te funciona con la version 9 de palo alto y desde un powershell 2016 script.PNG

L0 Member
  • 35 replies
  • 13 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!