How to monitor bandwidth on Internet interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to monitor bandwidth on Internet interface

L0 Member

I'm looking to monitor the bandwidth of the Internet facing interface (ethernet 1/8) of our PA-500 through SNMP (using Solarwind IPMonitor), but am unable to find what OID to use.

I've found several documents and lists, MIB's etc with various OID entries, but cannot find the right one for bandwidth.

The reason I want to monitor it, is that the firewall is now struggling at lunchtimes (we restrict access at other times), and want to see if the PA-500 is still fast enough or needs to be upgraded...

Can the bandwidth be monitored for a particular interface, or can I just monitor the 'active sessions' on the firewall ?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated....

Thanks

Lee

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

I recommend monitoring the In and Out bytes of the interface.

ifInOctets

ifOutOctets

Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L6 Presenter

I recommend monitoring the In and Out bytes of the interface.

ifInOctets

ifOutOctets

Thanks.

L4 Transporter

You can download PA's own MIB's from the Technical Documentation section and use it in your monitoring tool. We are successfully monitoring our PA firewalls with PRTG and the PA MIB's.

Thanks for the reply Roland.

Unfortunenately, the IPMonitor software is not easy to add MIB's... without going to Tech Support for the software, so was going to use the OID directly, which I can do....

I'll do as rmonvon has suggested.

Thanks.

Lee

Thanks very much for your reply rmonvon.

I'll find the OID for these and monitor them...

Lee

L3 Networker

Try enabling QoS (without enforcing any policies) to get a bandwidth graph on a given interface; it doesn't give you historical data but it will show you real-time consumption during your problem periods.

Hi ksemenov,

Just looked at the QOS, and it is exactly the type of thing we were looking for. I know it does not do history, but allows us to monitor live and see if there are bandwidth issues when users complain about slow internet access.

Thanks very much.

Lee

Check out the "Cacti - Templates" thread over at devcenter:
https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/thread/4367?tstart=0

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!