How to read palo alto config file? Is there any free tool which is available ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to read palo alto config file? Is there any free tool which is available ?

L0 Member

I m looking for a application or tool to read palo alto config file. Specially, we required to perform manual firewall review.

I have a nipper to find all configuration and security issues. But we are not able to understand by looking into this config file.

Please suggest me how we can read the  configuration manually.

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@yogesba,

Firemon is capable of suggesting policy improvements to you. What exactly are you having issues reading in the config file, the config is a fairly standard XML format. If you truly need a manual review of your firewall I would suggest that you hire someone your SE suggests if you do not have this ability in house. 

L1 Bithead

To read & modify the XML file -- use Notepad++.  This will allow you to easily navigate the configurations and make change updates.   See if that helps for you.  Another useful command from the CLI is "set cli config-output-format set", if you're use to the normal line-by-line text format.

I agree with c.huang, I think the easiest way to read the CLI is with the set-based output. For me, it's much easier to digest than the xml format.

L2 Linker

Hi Yogesba!

While notepad++ works a treat, maniuplating the config in notepad++ isn't always easy, especially if you are not used to the syntax so dont forget you can always use the palo alto networks migration tool 🙂

Couldnt do it justice so check out the link below and follow the link at the bottom of the page for community page/download.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/products/secure-the-network/next-generation-firewall/migration-tool

Cheers,

Ben

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!