I'm getting an error when trying to log in maint mode on PA-2050

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

I'm getting an error when trying to log in maint mode on PA-2050

Not applicable

I have an Evaluation unit that I'm trying to reset to factory defaults via the Maint Partition, but not having any luck.

Here is the error message I'm getting after I type in 'maint' at the prompt...

Autoboot to default partition in 5 seconds.
        Enter 'maint' to boot to maint partition.

Entry: masize: 12582912, sector_size: 131072
Scanning JFFS2 FS: . done.
Full fpga programming SUCCESS
Unknown command 'fsload' - try 'help'
## No elf image at address 0x20000000
Octeon kestrel# help

I'm not exactly sure but from this response, "No elf image at address 0x20000000", It appears to me that the OS image has been erased,

The only command that is operational is 'help', which then lists the valid commands, but none work.  I can not interface the unit via the GUI either.

Not sure what else to do at this point.  Only other option I have would be to RMA the unit back to Palo Alto.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

L4 Transporter

I suggest opening a support case for this one...

L6 Presenter

Try pressing esc or something instead.

I think the maint stuff was somewhat changed in 4.x (or if its just for the 5xxx boxes) so you get a grub boot menu when you want to go into maint-mode from where you can select which partition to boot (I think there is one maint-partition on every disk).

The password for maint mode is then "M4INT" or something like that before you can do the scrub of the harddrives.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing as well...(open up a case)..   I tried different variations of 'maint' at that step, by using maint, ma1nt and m4int with no luck.  

That didn't work either..  Still getting the "unknown command "fsload" - try "help" no ELF image found" ..

I think I'll open a case with Palo.

Thanks for the responses,

Harry.

Dont forget to get back with the fix Smiley Happy

L1 Bithead

Solution:

1. Turn off device

2. Initiate "Replacing Hard Drive procedure" from Hardware Guide

• Unscrew the hard disk drive tray thumbnail screws on the back of the firewall
  • Slide the tray out from the chassis
  • Detach the power and data cables from the hard disk drive
  • Turn on device and wait and wait until the Octeon kestrel# boot
  • Turn off again and attach hard disk drive

3. The device should boot normally now but the problem is likely recur after the next reboot, and you'll have to repeat the process. So Once the unit starts and you will see the following notification:

Autoboot to default partition in 5 seconds. Enter 'maint' to boot to maint partition.

Type maint and then press Enter. This will take you to the maintenance menu. Check the disk for errors (unfortunately I cannot remember the names of menu items) and then choose the debug reboot option.

4. Reboot unit a few times in normal mode (CLI command: request restart system) to make sure that the problem is not repeated.

L0 Member

The solution is to enter the password that used a long time ago, is m41nt

Juan Ruiz
Security System Engineer

Office: +511 7480679
Mobile: +51 943850490
Email: juan.ruiz@westcon.com
Av. Larco 880, 2do Piso, Miraflores, Lima 18, PERU
www.westcon.com
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!