ISP Failover and Global Protect (Routing Issues)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

ISP Failover and Global Protect (Routing Issues)

L0 Member

Hello All,

I have a pretty simple setup here - single PA-2020 with dual ISP's (One Virtual Router).  We're also using Global Protect (SSL VPN only) currently.  I seem to have an issue that I cannot sort out.

ISP failover works great through the use of PBF.  All inbound services (policies and NAT continue to function) just fine...but here's the kicker.

Through the use of PBF routing all Internet bound traffic out my primary ISP, I should NOT (in theory) need a static route in my VR for this as PBF is checked first.  BUT - when this static route is removed, my Global Protect users can no longer connect to the firewall.  Adding this static route back with a LOWER metric than the route for my secondary ISP fixes the issue.  Obviously you can see where this can cause an issue when failed over to my secondary ISP (Primary ISP's default route has a lower metric and will attempt to be used first even though the route is disconnected).

All I'm trying to do is setup something similar to a very basic IP SLA from the Cisco world.  I find it odd that the PA device can't seem to handle this alongside VPN connectivity in the very same way a Cisco PIX or ASA can.

I would like to avoid using multiple virtual routers if possible - any help would be appreciated! 

1 REPLY 1

L3 Networker

Check out this discussion thread:

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!