Is KVM live migration supported on VM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is KVM live migration supported on VM?

Not applicable

Hi,

Does anyone know, I was thinking that licensing may cause issues?

Cheers

Richard

10 REPLIES 10

L6 Presenter

Hi Richard,

Recently PANW have started support for KVM hypervisor, which means PANW-VM-Series firewall can be installed on KVM hypervisor.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Thanks Hardik, yes 6.1.0 supports KVM but this is a more specific question about live migration of a PAN VM from one KVM host to another.

Hi Richard,

Definitely Licensing will be a issue, because new KVM host doesnt have licenses.

Basically next step is to do license transfer, which only TAC engineers can do.

The only option is to contact TAC for license transfer. They will transfer licenses to new box, old box will have licenses for next 30 days.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hardik,

Can you explain how this KVM VM is licensed, is it the same as ESX:

"The authcode is tied to the Universally Unique ID (UUID). If the firewall is cloned, the UUID will change and the license will become invalid. Moving the firewall from one host to another will not change the UUID (only the CPUID) and therefore the license will remain valid."

If it is then moving it should not require relicensing.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

That is correct, if UUID remains same than re-licensing is required. Licensing is independant of Hypervisor, hence I can say its same as ESXi.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hardik,

You know that KVM uses the same UUID licensing as ESX?

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

I have not tried KVM, but will try and test soon.

Licenses are mapped between serial number and UUID/CPUID. There is no other combination.

Hence I can 90% confirm ESXi and KVM licensing are same.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi Richard,

Let me know if you have any other query.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Thanks, we have drifted away from the actual question though, is live migration supported on KVM?

Hi Richard,

Is it something like "vmotion" in ESXi? If yes, it might work but may not be supported because vmotion is not supported.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!