Is Palo vulnerable to the shell shock Linux bug?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is Palo vulnerable to the shell shock Linux bug?

L2 Linker
15 REPLIES 15

L6 Presenter

I also wonder if it is or not

There are some fixes and tests on the web for linux and macos but we don't have root access to test Smiley Happy

I believe the latest emergency content update addresses this:

Application and Threat Content Release Notes

Version 457

Notes: Earlier today, Wednesday, September 24th, Palo Alto Networks became aware of a remote code execution vulnerability in the Bash shell utility. This vulnerability is CVE-2014-6271 and allows for remote code execution through multiple vectors due to the way Bash is often used on linux systems for processing commands. Additional information can be found here: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/650

To address this vulnerability, Palo Alto Networks has released an emergency content update that provides detection of attempted exploitation of CVE-2014-6271 with IPS vulnerability Signature ID: 36729 "Bash Remote Code Execution Vulnerability" with Critical severity and default action of "Alert." Palo Alto Networks customers with a Threat Prevention subscription are advised to verify that they are running the latest content version on their devices. If you have any questions about coverage for this advisory, please contact Support.

New Vulnerability Signatures (1)

SeverityIDAttack NameCVE IDVendor IDDefault ActionMinimum PAN-OS Version
critical36729Bash Remote Code Execution VulnerabilityCVE-2014-6271alert4.0.0

L7 Applicator

Hello Smi12,

Content update 457-2377 with coverage for CVE-2014-6271 Signature ID: 36729 "Bash Remote Code Execution Vulnerability" has been released . Please update the PAN firewall with latest Application and Threat database.

Thanks

L7 Applicator

FYI..

emergency-content-release.jpg

Thanks

Good to know that there is a signature for it, but it doesn't answer the question if the OS itself is vulnerable of not

Kind regards,

Bob

I agree with bdeschut...What's the story with that?

yes that was the real question I think

L2 Linker

Still trying to work out if the Linux based PAN-OS including that used by Panorama is vulnerable to this also?  any thoughts HULK or  mrsoldner ?

Default Action on the signature is set to alert, which is very strange for something that could potentially be used to create DHCP worms across virtually every non-Windows platform, including smartphones. 

We've installed the update onto all our PANOS boxes, but cannot see ID 36729 nor the CVE number appear in the signatures list. Regardless of that, if I create a rule to match the 36729 ID with block as the action will the device take it?

dynamicv wrote:

Default Action on the signature is set to alert, which is very strange for something that could potentially be used to create DHCP worms across virtually every non-Windows platform, including smartphones.

We've installed the update onto all our PANOS boxes, but cannot see ID 36729 nor the CVE number appear in the signatures list. Regardless of that, if I create a rule to match the 36729 ID with block as the action will the device take it?

You can make an exception and change the default action.

1. Go into your Vulnerability Protection Profile
  2. Click "Exceptions"
  3. Check "Show all signatures"
  4. Enter 36729
  5. Change the action to whatever you'd like it to be.
  6. Push policy.

Not applicable

PAN-OS includes bash, which means it is likely vulnerable:

test-box> debug cli detail

Environment variables :

(LANG . en_US.UTF-8)

(USER . admin)

(LOGNAME . admin)

(HOME . /opt/pancfg/home/admin)

(PATH . /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin)

(MAIL . /var/mail/admin)

(SHELL . /bin/bash)

(SSH_CLIENT . 192.0.2.1 57409 22)

(SSH_CONNECTION . 192.0.2.1 57409 192.0.2.2 22)

(SSH_TTY . /dev/pts/0)

(TERM . xterm)

(SSH_AUTH_SOCK . /tmp/ssh-vHZslV9235/agent.9235)

(LESSCHARSET . utf-8)

(PAN_BASE_DIR . /opt/pancfg/mgmt)

Build Target : panos-5000-mp

Build Type   : RELEASE

Total Heap : 7.16 M

Used       : 6.11 M

Nursery    : 0.12 M

"Low" vulnerability to PAN-OS is premised on only authenticated users being able to exploit.

But elsewhere I've seen reports that the vulnerability doesn't require authentication to exploit. Based on NVD - Detail it seems PAN-OS could (emphasize could) be vulnerable either through ssh or the web interface.

Also, like dynamicv, I can't see the signature in the update even when I follow mrsoldner's instructions.

EDIT: Some time after the above, I updated PAN-OS from 6.0.4. to 6.0.5, and rebooted the firewall as part of the update. The signature is visible now.

L2 Linker

Per product management, "The Bash vulnerability currently appears to be a low severity issue due to the fact that only authenticated users could potentially exploit the vulnerability against PAN-OS.  Normal PAN-OS maintenance release updates will provide a fix for the vulnerability."

Also, there is an internal bug open where the bash patch will be applied in the PAN-OS (it is yet to be confirmed in which release will the fix be available and whether it will be backported to the previous releases) Hope this helps.

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!