Is it possible to configure dynamic load balancing using Routing protocols for below shown topology?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is it possible to configure dynamic load balancing using Routing protocols for below shown topology?

L4 Transporter

Hi All,

Is it possible to configure dynamic load balancing using Routing protocols which are supported by PaloAlto?

Requirement :  We have total 16 MB line ( 8 MB from Aircel ISP and 8 MB rom TATA ISP ). We are looking to balance the load on both isp based on the traffic, means full 16 MB                           utilization at any given time for below topology.

Example : If the load on Airtel isp is 6 MB and on TATA isp is 2 MB then load needs to be split on both isp as 4 MB each.Kindly help me ASAP.

Thank you,

Gururaj

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

PA is not a load balancer so you only count on PBF trying to divide traffic for the two gateways taking considertion source variables (like ip-address, users, application etc). A sort of balancing using ospf dynamic routing can be obtained only with A/A infrastructure but this cannot be achieved with PA-200 (like in pictures) and need also higher routing and swithcing.

If you need something deeper you probably need a pure aggregator/load balancer, there are plenty of them in the market. I usually use this http://peplink.com/

Hello NGS.

I have a question:

This is not possible with the PA-200. Is it possible with another model of PA Firewalls or always I'll need an additional load balancer?

best regards.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Do you want users behind Palo to browse web over both ISP's or have web servers behind Palo that are accessible from internet?

Starting from v7 Palo supports session based ECMP

https://paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/pan-os/networking/ecmp-load-balancing-algorithm...

And you can use BGP but Palo is not full blown BGP router so you can't have all internet routes there. 

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!