Is the behavior in my tests normal or maybe I missed something?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is the behavior in my tests normal or maybe I missed something?

Retired Member
Not applicable

I have a specific question. Our firewalls are able to decompress some files like .zip or gzip and after that we are able to analyze their content and detect some malicious files with threat prevention or WildFire.

For the .cab file, the cabinet file compressed by Windows, which is not cyphered, I saw some tests and I was surprised that the content of a cab file is not analyzed. I created my own cab file with a malicious file inside. I understand that normally the cab files are signed by Microsoft and trust. But recently we have a lot of malware campaigns with some cab files in the emails attachment.  I want to know if we are able to protect users from this type of campaign?

Do you know if the behavior in my tests are normal or maybe I missed something?

6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

Have you tried selecting File type as cab in file blocking profile with action set to Forward to see if wildfire detects malware?

Regards,

Hari Yadavalli

L4 Transporter

Efurtado,

In addition to the above statement, can you confirm that the zip archives were not password protected or zipped into multiple layers?

Thanks

Hi Hari,

Yes of course, I created a "file blocking profile" with a default action for all files to forward. I created 3 cabinet files with the following command line : makecab.exe. Each cab file contains a malware or virus. I think when you're creating a cab file, there is no protection by password something like that. 

In the log file, you can see the status "alert".

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 11.16.07.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 11.16.43.png

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Arnaud Besnard

Hello Arnaud,

What is the action set for 'smb' decoder in antivirus profile?

Regards,

Hari Yadavalli

Hi Hari,

In the antivirus profile, the action is "block" for all decoder and even for wildfire.

Regards,

Arnaud BESNARD

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

PAN does not support any compressed files except zip/gzip because PAN scans malware by stream-based.

Following KB might be helpful for you even it's talking about IPS.

IPS Scanning of Compressed Files

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!