Linux VPN clients

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Linux VPN clients

L4 Transporter

Does anyone have suggestions for Linux based VPN client software to users into a Palo Alto Managed environment.  The dynamics (frequent upgrades of various distributions) is causing issues with our current 3rd party commercial VPN solution.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Clients are Ubuntu based laptops.

Phil

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Hi,

With PAN OS 5.0, VPNC can be used as the VPN client on Ubuntu.

Please refer to https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/message/24225#24225 for more details.

L1 Bithead

You can try ShrewSoft VPN client. The standard client is free to use (personal & commercial). We use it on Windows and it works great with our OTP 2-factor authentication as well, except for an IPSEC SA/IKE rekey issue that causes the connection to drop just about every hour; we have the same issue with the native OS X & iOS clients too though.

I have used VPNC integrated into NetworkManager (the default on my Linux distro, OpenSUSE) and it worked great... make sure X-Auth is turned on and you should be good to go.

L3 Networker

I would firstly try VPNC or perhaps OpenVPN.

Alternatively if those said ubuntu laptops could be put behind a pfsense firewall you could get that to do all the VPN for you.

L4 Transporter

Thanks Guys.  We will pursue the VPNC  option.  I appreciate your feedback.

Phil

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!