Load Config Partial for Panorama Firewall Import

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Load Config Partial for Panorama Firewall Import

L4 Transporter

If anyone used it before, can you please share “load config partial” commands to import all configuration items from saved firewall xml config (fw1.xml) file into new Panorama template (e.g. template1) and new device group (e.g. dgropup1).

I can work out most of them, but have the feeling that I am missing some configuration items.

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@BatD,

For what you are trying to do I would honestly recommend doing this by hand through the XML file directly and not using the 'load config partial' command. 

L4 Transporter

Hi @BPry. Thank you for your response. I must be missing something. Can you please clarify how to import firewall xml config file to Panorama template and device group directly "by hand"?

I was only aware of the load config partial method, which worked quite well in the past, with the only drawback being that it is easy to miss configuration elements. 

L7 Applicator

@BatD

Not sure if this question heads to a totally wrong direction, but do you only need the configuration in panorama to use for another firewall or do you want to change an existing firewall from local to panorama management?

@BatD,

Essentially you export your configuration from Panorama and then modify the XML file directly with the information that you require; you then simply reupload the XML file and load it into Panorama when you are done. Since it doesn't sound like you've worked with the XML file much, I would avoid it. 

Working directly with the configuration file can be a powerful tool, but it also means it can fail quickly if you get formating wrong or stick the wrong information in the wrong place. Validation will usually catch any mistakes you make, but it's better to not take that risk unless you're actually comfortable with XML. 

L4 Transporter

@Remo

I don't need to add the device to Panorama, but just to import the config file in the Panorama LAB device to review configuraiton or occasionally make changes and import it back to the firewalls. 

In my suport and professional services work, I am often being sent configuratrion file by a customer without having direct access to the firewall. Noramlly I use the migration tool, however in some cases it is easier to work with the configuraiton when in Panorama. 

L4 Transporter

Hello guys, any ideas on load partial commands for full import of firewall in Panorama? 

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!