MAC Users on Domain identified as "Unknown" Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

MAC Users on Domain identified as "Unknown" Users

L4 Transporter

Hello Guys.

Before I describe the issue; just want to let you all know that I am no Apple Geek and have very very limited knowledge of Apple products (don't know why but was never fascinated).  Right, the issue is as follows:

My client has installed Snow Leopard the latest version of OS in-order to have the integration with Windows Domain Controllers.  The first issue was that MAC users when logging onto the devices using domain credentials were being challenged by Captive Portal.  This issue was sorted by obviously setting no captive portal rule for the domain users.

After resolving the above issue, the users are not being challenged by CP but are now being identified as "unknown" users.  Now, how can I go around troubleshooting this issue?

1.  First thing I would think of is; Are the logon Account names matching on how they were defined on the domain controller / groups?

2.  When the MAC users login / authenticate using the domain credentials the security logs should be similiar to the logs when users authenticate using Windows machines.  Is this happening?

3.  If the above two steps are working perfectly fine, then what should I look into?

Any ideas or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you guys..!!!

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Kalyan

1 REPLY 1

L4 Transporter

There's really no difference in troubleshooting authentication problems between Mac OS X and Windows. The computer needs to be joined/bound to the Active Directory domain, and the user needs a valid user account.

You can validate sucessful domain authentication in OS X using Ticket Viewer. http://www.jaharmi.com/2009/08/29/view_kerberos_tickets_with_ticket_viewer_in_snow_leopard

Past that, you need to make sure you have successful and failure authentication auditing enabled on your default domain controller policy.

• 1 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!