MacOS connection errors while using GlobalProtect VPN client 5.0.8-4

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

MacOS connection errors while using GlobalProtect VPN client 5.0.8-4

L1 Bithead

Hi folks,

So i'm having pretty bad vpn problems while working from home. It's been happening for a while, but now that I'm working remotely every day, it's become unbearable. I hope someone can assist.

This is how it goes: I connect to my work vpn and after some time (maybe 10-15min, sometimes longer and sometimes shorter), requests to remote systems start timing out. If I disconnect the vpn and reconnect, things go back to working. This goes on throughout the day.

To troubleshoot, I've tried the following:
  1. run a ping in a terminal window. Pings are usually 30-50ms but when things stop working, I see my pings have jumped to 60,000 - 100,000ms and higher
  2. i have connected a Windows laptop to the same vpn gateway and kept it running for a day. The Windows vpn never missed a beat while the Mac vpn had issues throughout the day
  3. reinstalled GlobalProtect client

I don't have problems with connectivity when browsing the Internet and not connected to the vpn.

Can anyone suggest how to solve this?

MacOS Catalina 10.15.3

GlobalProtect VPN client 5.0.8-4

Thanks,

Clint

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @ClintP ,

Is your GP configured to perform a HIP check ?  

A HIP check happens periodically and ensures that remote hosts connecting to the company network are adequately maintained and adhere with the security standards before they are allowed access.  This periodical check could impact performance.

Have you checked the processes on your system at the time the issue occurs ? Maybe some process is hogging all the resources ?

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi Kiwi,

Is there an easy way to tell if GP has triggered a HIP check? Maybe logs?

I have not noticed a process hog when experiencing the network issue. Other than network connection issues, the system is responding normally. Actually, just after typing this response, the issue occurred. I checked the Activity Monitor and sorted by "%CPU" descending. Guess what, PanGPS was at the top at 100%. When I disconnect/reconnect the vpn and pings return to normal levels, PanGPS is around 1 - 3%.

What now?

Thanks.

Community Team Member

Hi @ClintP ,

Yes, please check the client logs :

HOW TO COLLECT LOGS FROM GLOBALPROTECT CLIENTS 

My guess would be HIP checks are happening.

Your IT team can customize these checks but I won't recommend disabling them entirely.

See if they can finetune the settings so it doesn't use up all your device resources.  If that doesn't work I'd advise to reach out to PAN support to have this investigated more thoroughly.

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Had a call with GP support and they said my issue was likely related to a bug. No concerns about HIP.

5.0.9 has just been released that supposedly fixes my problems. Fingers crossed!

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!