Migrating Sonicwall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migrating Sonicwall

L0 Member

Has anyone migrated from a sonic wall to a palo alto? If so how did you do it? The palo migration tool seems to support a load of firewalls but not sonicwalls. 

Is it a case of doing it all manually or is there a migration tool around that I'm missing?

Any help would be massively appriciated.

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

some scripts would probably help to avoid 90% of the work

L6 Presenter

One thing you can almost always do is export network objects from old firewall to some text form and then migrate them to PA with 'set' commands in CLI. Same for services and groups. With a bit of effort (and scripting skills) maybe you'll manage to use this for rules as well.

If you have a lot of IPSEC tunnels with same parameters scripts will also be useful.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I know its a lot of rules and I'm not sure how many rules you have or how 'clean' your rules currently are. However I take the painful road to build the rules from scratch based on the current firewalls setup. This way I can 'clean up' any rules that are no longer needed and start fresh.

Just my way, not saying its the best...

Yeah true. If you are in no rush to migrate it's a good idea to review the old policy and build a new policy from scratch. That way you can also replace services with applictions, write general rules based on zones except network objects, get rid of no longer needed rules...

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!