Migration Tool 3.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migration Tool 3.0

Not applicable

Does anyone else have as many problems with this tool as I do?  How can a company like Palo Alto Networks release a tool TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC, and not provide any semblance of support for it (aside from forums)?

I am a Palo Alto Networks partner, and for the life of me, I cannot get this tool to work properly 90% of the time.  Now, I'm stuck at a point where the export is "Loading Shared Objects", and PAN support tells me to call my local SE.  I'm pretty sure he didn't write the code for the tool, so I'm pretty sure he isn't going to be able to solve this problem. 

*sigh* 

You release a tool with much fanfare to the general population, but the tool is buggy and you provide little to no support for it.  WHY???

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Hello MCPcAdmin,

Firewall-policy migration can be a challenging task, and is most effectively accomplished with professional services assistance from Palo Alto Networks and a network of solution partners, who can guide you though the migration process using a combination of automated tools and best practices.

There is a guide available and video tutorials.  The tool is not supported by TAC, but is community supported

Migration Tool 3 Info and Guide

Refer to the following resources for additional information:

• For support, Please remember the TAC does NOT support this tool. This tool is supported through the Palo Alto Networks Community. Refer to the following link to get the discussions page where you can look for info and post questions if you cannot find what you are looking for: Migration Tool
  • For information on the additional capabilities of Palo Alto Networks firewalls and for instructions on configuring the features on the firewall, refer to the live homepage at: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/welcome

The following post offers training for partners:

Migration Tool 3.0 Training

I appreciate that the Migration tool is now available to the general user base and not just Palo Alto partners.  The tool is not a full service conversion but a help along the way.

Three years ago as a customer I asked to get a copy of this for our internal use and the answer was no.  Only Palo Alto professional services and partners were allowed to access the tool for their work.

Now I'm happy that this is at general availability.  Even with the issues this saves time in working on large configs.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!