Migration Tool 3: Missing Checkpoint NAT Rules

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migration Tool 3: Missing Checkpoint NAT Rules

L3 Networker

Hi All,

I found an interesting problem while migrating a firewall policy from a Checkpoint system.  Has anyone seen this problem before? 

Checkpoint NAT:

Checkpoint has a special kind of NAT that you can configure on an object I'm going to call the "Automatic Hide NAT Gateway".  You configure a private address object and then bind the NAT to that address object by checking the box "Add Automatic Address Translation rules".  The translation method is "Hide" and the property selected is "Hide behind Gateway".

checkpoint-nat.jpg

We have 21 object based NATs that are configured in the same fashion.  None of these rules converted.

There is a very similar type of NAT rule in the Checkpoint world that I'm going to call the "Automatic Hid NAT Address".  You configure a private address object and then bind the NAT to that address object by checking the box "Add Automatic Address Translation rules".  The translation method is "Hide" and the property selected is "Hide behind IP Address".

checkpoint-nat2.jpg

These rules did convert properly.

I suspect that the problem has occurred due to the fact that "ExternalFirewall" is a special object.   That object has multiple IP addresses assigned as the source translation could occur as the packet crosses any of the interfaces (Outside, DMZ1, and DMZ2).

So Migration-Guru's - has anyone run across this problem and have advise on how to deal with the NAT conversion.  I'm concerned that if this type of rule didn't convert - am I missing other rules?

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

I also have a case where this was mentioned during a migration from CP.

Looks like this was the same case after all Smiley Happy

Thanks for providing further information. I am reaching out to the appropriate team to bring this to their attention.

For reference: 346260

Hi,

You are totally right, We are not migrating only this kind of rules because we dont know what ip address to use for the nat. A message is created in the logs section telling you that this Dynamic Nat is not migrated. You are not missing other rules. Regards

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!