Migration of Palo Alto VM series from one host to another

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migration of Palo Alto VM series from one host to another

L4 Transporter

Two PaloAlto Virtual appliances has been deployed in HA mode on Customer site.

Device models: VM-200

We plan to migrate the virtual firewalls to another host via VMWare Vmotion
feature.

Issue is: the status of licenses of the firewalls.

We have information that the licenses will be lost in that case.

What is essential to do to recover removed licenses?

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Where did you get this information?

I have virtual Palos moving around by DRS without any issues.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

L7 Applicator

My experience has been much like @Raido_Rattameister.  I've v-motioned firewalls between hosts many times over many years.  Never had a problem.  

Copy, Clone, and some Move operations have the likely potential to invalidate the license.  Generally speaking, a v-motion process shouldn't invalidate a license.  It is important to note that v-motion of the VM-series firewall is not officially supported by Palo Alto Networks, due to the possibility that traffic is inadvertently discarded as the appliance migrates between hosts.  

If push comes to shove, and if your license is somehow invalidated, open a case with TAC and work with them to get things working again.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!