New PA2020 - WorldofWarcraft - How to make it work?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

New PA2020 - WorldofWarcraft - How to make it work?

Not applicable

Morning!

So we went live with our PA2020 yesterday.  Upgraded from our Cisco PIX 525 and so far everything is working great.  Only 10 seconds of downtime as we did the cut over.

I work at a university and the number one request from students is to make gaming available.  Now with the PA I'm more open to the idea and want to start easing into allowing the various services to go through to the student VLAN.

When I allowed WorldofWarcraft, I get a message saying that bittorrent is required but my P2P block all rule prevents it.

Currently the very first rule I have is my P2P block all rule, blocking the entire category of p2p, and several levels lower I have the rule allowing worldofwarcraft for the student vlan allow.

When I commit the config, it shows a warning that worldofwarcraft requires bittorrent but the p2p rule is blocking it.

I must block p2p to stay in compliance on our campus but I would like to allow worldofwarcraft for our students.

Any suggestions or anyone have a configuration that makes it work properly but also blocks p2p traffic?

Thanks,

Nathan G.

2 REPLIES 2

L2 Linker

World of Warcraft uses bittorrent for updating.  Try adding the destinations of some of their servers to restrict the bittorrent use. Also follow up with support to see if they have any other suggestions or fixes planned

I needed to create a Application override for it so it can be enabled while you have p2p disabled. My app override looks like the image attached and wow currently updates and works for us.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!