Notify message of upgrade in GlobalProtect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Notify message of upgrade in GlobalProtect

L1 Bithead

Is possible to notify an user with a message that the globaprotect client will be updated before the update?

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

If you set the agent upgrade config to "Alllow with prompt" the user will be notified when a new version is available and he is then able to choose if he want to install the new version or not. When you set it to "tranparent" the user won't receive any information.

Global Protect Portal App Settings: https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/web-interface-help/globalprotect/network-gl...

L3 Networker

There is an option with "Allow with prompt", which shows the prompt for the upgrade. However, please keep in mind that many people do not click on the upgrade prompt. We were using this option a long time ago, and many people never upgraded their GP client. When a bug hit on GlobalProtect by Dynamic Updates, it impacted on the GP client users with lower versions. And they couldn't connect to the VPN. Therefore, I've changed the option to "Transparent" for mandatory update.

Hope this helps!

--
"The Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci.

As others have said, "Allow with prompt" is what you're looking for.

FWIW, this is how I do it, maybe it will work for you.

1) Send an email to all GP users about the upgrade and provide screen shots of what they will experience

2) Set GP to "Allow with prompt"

3) Install GP version

4) After 2 weeks, I check how many users are still on the old version and send a reminder email

5) After 2 more weeks, set it to transparent

6) Once everyone is upgraded, I set it back to "Allow with prompt"

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!