OpenSSL Heartbleed bug: CVE-2014-0160

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

OpenSSL Heartbleed bug: CVE-2014-0160

L1 Bithead

Hi,

Just wondering if any Palo Alto versions are affected by this bug in OpenSSL?

http://heartbleed.com/

Regards

64 REPLIES 64

Not applicable

I would like to know this, too. We need a word on this, anything really. A security company like Palo Alto should be on top of issues like this.

likewise - are the PAN devices using OpenSSL under the hood for cert creation?

If so, which vers?

I know many of our F5s are "safe" as they run 0.9.8x

Any plans on releasing an update to patch CVE-2014-0160 exploits?

I have tested GP SSL VPN for the heartbleed bug. It seems PANOS 6.0.1 is not vulnerable.

I just tested the same against 5.0.10 --> Not vulnerable !

L3 Networker

Palo Alto Networks does not use the Open SSL version that has this vulnerability. Please open a support case if you would like to get more info in the coverage for CVE-2014-0160.

Deepak

We really need some kind of a badge or little PA icon indicator next to people that actually work for PA, that are speaking on behalf of the company. I have no idea if dpalani works for PA or not, and whether this is the "official word" or not

agreed, im calling to confirm 100%. this ones a doozy.

CVE-2014-0160 is reported on open ssl version 1.0.1 and the firewall uses version 0.9.8, you are more than welcome to open up a case with support and confirm that.

Regards.

Deepak

L2 Linker

Anyone spoken with support about a Vulnerability Protection signature update to catch this?

Or has anyone managed to create a custom signature?

I would like to know this as well. I was thinking about trying to do this but I think this is big enough Palo Alto should do this if it is possible. This would be great to buy us some time on mitigating this.

L3 Networker

PAN-OS is not vulnerable to this bug, as we use an older branch of OpenSSL (0.9.8) which is not affected by this issue.

--Noah

Palo Alto Networks Support

L3 Networker

Is PAN-OS vulnerable?

PAN-OS is not vulnerable, as we use an older branch of OpenSSL (0.9.8) which is not affected by this issue.

Are Palo Alto Networks public services vulnerable?

We are in the midst of evaluating our own exposure to CVE-2014-0160 within our public-facing infrastructure, including the update service, WildFire, PAN-DB, public web site, etc.  We do not yet have the results of this analysis but we will provide an update once our investigation and remediation is complete.

Does Palo Alto Networks provide IPS coverage for this vulnerability?

Our threat research team is researching the vulnerability in an effort to provide coverage ASAP.  We hope to have coverage released late today, but we cannot commit to a release timeframe until protections are developed and tested.

What should customers do if they identify vulnerable servers (running OpenSSL 1.0.1 through 1.0.1f)?

Vulnerable servers should be patched to OpenSSL 1.0.1g (available as of April 7th 2014).  SSL private keys should be assumed to be compromised and should be replaced after the OpenSSL patch is in place.

Not applicable

I was wondering if we could create a vulnerability signature to alert, then setup a rule to block this type of traffic.

Any update on the timing of the IPS signature release for this?

• 64 replies
  • 5 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!