Out of disk space

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Out of disk space

L0 Member

Hoping someone can help me. I have a PA-200 which has run out space in the root filesystem.

admin@f-lonftz-pawireless2> show system disk-space

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2             1.9G  1.8G     0 100% /
/dev/sda5             6.6G  3.9G  2.4G  63% /opt/pancfg
/dev/sda6             1.9G  1.1G  778M  58% /opt/panrepo
tmpfs                 1.3G  116M  1.2G  10% /dev/shm
/dev/sda8             2.4G  169M  2.1G   8% /opt/panlogs

I've taken a listing of core files using show system files and the total space used is very small.

Can anyone tell how I can determine where the space has been eaten and how I can purge files to clear the space?

I am assuming this is some kind of /var/log issue?

Thanks 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

HI,

Don't know in which version you are but it's a known bug in PA-200 in certain version.

You need to open a case, support guy will connect in root in your palo and clear logs.

The only solution is upgrade. Don't have correct version in mind (should be solved in 6.07 or later)

Hope help.

v.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

L5 Sessionator

HI,

Don't know in which version you are but it's a known bug in PA-200 in certain version.

You need to open a case, support guy will connect in root in your palo and clear logs.

The only solution is upgrade. Don't have correct version in mind (should be solved in 6.07 or later)

Hope help.

v.

Thanks for the reply, quite worrying as the unit is on 7.0.1

For all of the Disk Space issues, there are some things that you can access, but there are some other internal logs that need a support professional to assist with. 

If you contact support, then can remote into your firewall and look through the filesystem with root access and should help identify the cause of the space issue.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

@jcawsey13 the bug that @VinceM referenced (Log files consuming disk space) wasn't fixed until 7.0.2 (What I was told from TAC).

You can fix it yourself before you upgrade by running:

delete debug-log mp-log file *.1
delete debug-log mp-log file *.2
delete debug-log mp-log file *.3
delete debug-log mp-log file *.old

I had support clean mine up too. But it filled up again.

It's still a problem in 7.0.2

L2 Linker

@jcawsey13 what alerted you to this issue?

VP of R&D at indeni

My lab PA-200 running 7.0.8 just started reporting critical warnings for "Disk usage for / exceeds limit"

Using the "delete debug-log mp-log file ..." commands got it down to 85%.   Is there anything else I can look for if the problem comes back, or should I plan on calling support?

Hi,

For root partition yes, call support but for all others you should have a control of the disk space usage. Also advising you to upgrade your device at least  to 7.0.9 as per release notes and addresses issues:

PA-200.PNGPA-200_1.PNG

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/pan-os-release-notes/pan-os-7-0-9-addressed...

I have this issue happening on a 5060 using 7.1.8.  I've had TAC clear it up but its back today.  I'm unsure if this a root file doing it though:

show system disk-space

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md3 3.8G 3.4G 246M 94% /
/dev/md5 7.6G 2.8G 4.4G 39% /opt/pancfg
/dev/md6 3.8G 2.9G 772M 79% /opt/panrepo
tmpfs 2.0G 116M 1.9G 6% /dev/shm
cgroup_root 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /cgroup
/dev/md8 198G 135G 53G 73% /opt/panlogs

I have the same problem with /dev/md3 being at 94%.  Wonder if it has anything to do with Panorama?  We just set that up yesterday.

I beleive ours could be from leaving debug on after support calls.

Hi,

We are also having the same issue, would like to know if we can move the automatic purging threshold to 85/90% ?

Any idea?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 14 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!