PA-200 fails bootup after hard power outage

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-200 fails bootup after hard power outage

L0 Member

I'm having multiple devices with this issue and I'm just curious if anyone else has seen it.  Basically I have a ton of PA-200's that may experience someone power them down by removing power or shutting a site power off.  When power comes back, they don't always boot up safely.  They get a message stating "boot corruption" when you ssh into them and they are wanting to go into Maintenance mode.  The worst part is, I have all of these in HA pairs (active/passive) and the passive firewall forces the interface in a down mode.  When one of the firewalls boots into this Critical Error mode, it lights up all the plugged in interfaces, but won't pass traffic - thus causing routing issues because now I have 2 firewalls thinking they are active, yet typically only one is working and the other is stuck in a Critical failure...no data passes.

The webUI goes:

Capture.JPG

So I have a work around - Since they allow me to SSH in - I log in as maint user, with serial number as the password.  Then I have to go through the menu to the rebuild boot loader menu and tell it to rebuild this section.  It takes less then 30 seconds and rebuilds and then needs to reboot.  This typically gets the firewall back to an operational status.  I've had to RMA a couple that haven't come back easily or that get hard drive failure...but so far that is rare.  The issue I am having is how this brings up all interfaces but won't pass data and is in a sort of limp mode.  I'm not really sure if this is normal behavior and am curious if anyone else has run into it.

I'm currently setting up alerts to have our real time team monitor for every single disconnected message from Panorama, but that happens all day every day and it's a lot of overheard to monitor every system (couple hundred) to assure if they have rebooted, that they have come up all the way.  These are critical to our business when they stop working and drop networks so I don't have much choice.

1 REPLY 1

L3 Networker

I have run in to this as well. I've been told it was a code issue, but I am not sure. What code were you running when you came across these boot corruption errors?

• 1 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!