PA-500 Ram Upgrade with no downtime

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-500 Ram Upgrade with no downtime

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

I need to perform a ram upgrade on a Cluster of PA-500's.  Is it possible to perform the upgrade in such a way that I will not incur an outage? 

Thanks!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't believe that ram is a monitored parameter.  But it really would not matter.

I have upgraded secondary nodes and failed over to them for OS upgrades and the like.  They will still allow the traffic to work on the node while the other is updated and rebooted.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L2 Linker

Hello,

Please refer to this document to upgrade PA 500 RAM.

PA-500 Management Memory Upgrade Procedure

Per document, you will need to power down the device to install new RAM. If you are in HA Cluster, then you can do a successful failover and then perform memory upgrade.

L7 Applicator

Hello Sir,

RAM is not hot swapable on PAN firewall. As Hparikh said, we have to reboot the device after the upgrade.

Thanks

L7 Applicator

You should be able to power down the inactive cluster member and do the upgrade of RAM.

Then bring this back up and once it is a member of the cluster again failover to this member.

Then power down and upgrade the primary member and power this backup.

ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Thanks for the info guys.  Will the Cluster not have an issue when i reboot one member with more ram then the other member.  My concern is that the cluster will fail due to hardware mismatch.

I don't believe that ram is a monitored parameter.  But it really would not matter.

I have upgraded secondary nodes and failed over to them for OS upgrades and the like.  They will still allow the traffic to work on the node while the other is updated and rebooted.

Yes, it will not cause any problem with the other cluster member, because, as per my understanding RAM is not a monitored object in HA.

Thanks

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!