PA 820 MM Fiber interface will not come up with WAN Provider

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA 820 MM Fiber interface will not come up with WAN Provider

L0 Member

I have a palo alto 220, a switch with fiber port, and a palo alto 820 with fiber port.  We use AT&T 1G fiber for wan connectivity.  If a palo alto is connected directly to the MM fiber wan the interface will not come up.  When a switch is used as a media converter, the fiber interface/sfp on the switch does come up, and using a copper connx between the switch and palo alto 220, all works fine.  If I plug the switch to the palo alto by fiber it does come up.  Could this be because of light levels?  I would think duplex at half would cause it to at least come up.

I also have a second palo alto to another AT&T 1G fiber which will only work well with a switch in between the palo and the circuit.  We believe this is a duplex issue, as iperf will send 1G one way, but only half that the other way.  

AT&T does not negotiate duplex or speed, and duplex 'full' is not an option on the Palo.. only auto negotiate.

Are Palo Alto's designed for WAN circuits?  we are begining to believe they are not.

Paul S

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

On 1 gig ports, the PAN cannot be changed since it follows RFC's for 1 gb ports. That said you need to tell your provider to set their speed/duplex config to Auto as you cannot hard set the PAN. Like you have already found out, a switch will work since it can be hard set.

Hope that helps.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!