PA device responds to unwanted ARP requests

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA device responds to unwanted ARP requests

L1 Bithead

Hi,

I've stumbled upon a tricky situation that I've managed to resolve but still don't know why PA did what it did.

The scenario is as follows:

1) Internet traffic comes into PA from the WAN zone, internal users use the LAN zone.

2) There is a DMZ switched VLAN. PA has an L3 interface in that VLAN with an IP of 192.168.0.1. This interface is in the DMZ zone.

3) In the DMZ there is a server 192.168.0.2 and a proxy 192.168.0.3.

4) The goal is to enble people from the WAN and LAN zone to communicate with the web service on the server through a proxy.

5) Any necessary security policies are ok.

To accomplish that I've set up a destination NAT policy that translates traffic incoming from any zone to the DMZ zone to port 80 from dest.ip 192.168.0.2 to dest.ip 192.168.0.3.

And here is the tricky part I don't understand. After commiting this rule and issuing a ping from PA device (or after a while when the ARP cache expires) PA device starts to reply to ARP requests for the IP 192.168.0.2 hence breaking the communication to the server from any other machine in the DMZ. ARP table on proxy states that indeed the server's IP is at the PA MAC, and on the PA's ARP table flag of 192.168.0.2 is "incomplete".

When I changed the NAT rule to: from zone (LAN or WAN) to zone DMZ; everything is OK.

I thought that any firewall would response to an ARP request only if it had the requested IP configured on one of it's interfaces or if it had a source NAT configured with the IP address in question. So how come PA did respond to those ARPs ?

Any insight will be welcome 🙂

1 REPLY 1

L2 Linker

Hello!

Assuming that there was no bidir (source static nat) or U-Turn entanglement, which was the source IP you used for ping (I presume you used 192.168.0.1, the firewall's interface in DMZ and not and not the management interface having a service route to DMZ destination) ?

Have you tried to ping with LAN firewall's interface source IP in the faulty setup ?

If you used DMZ interface source IP, due to the double forwarding lookup and the incoming and outgoing interface being the same, the firewall might just answered to itself that server (192.168.0.2) can be reached using DMZ interface as next-hop - a debug dataplane packet-diag set log feature flow basic and arp for non-ip packet-filter would have explained the forwarding decision (I couldn't replicate the symptom using a 7.0 VM).

Hope that helps, andreip

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!