PA syslog app id - problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA syslog app id - problems

L4 Transporter

Hi

so 5220 - 9.0.5

I have a syslog client and syslog server.

the path goes through my PA.

I have a rule basically says any internal ip is allowed to the syslog server if the app it syslog 

that doesn't work, the packets are too short for the PA to distinguish them .. sigh so add in unknown - udp .

now they go through.

next problem tcp syslog on port 514 - default for centos and rhel when using tcp 

pa don't think syslog goes on port 514.

okay application override 

I say any internal ip going to syslog server on tcp 514 . make it syslog application.

doesn't work . my session are still marked as unkown ... again i am guessing causes it too small.

WTF do you do .

I can see packets on both side. client and server .. and the client is trying to send the pa is not letting through.

FFS 🙂 sigh

any suggestions. I am thinking of just setting any app as long as its port 514 hopefully that will fix it 

8 REPLIES 8

L4 Transporter

tried allowing any app id but to that ip and only port 514.. 

no luck 😞

Hi @Alex_Samad 

What do you see in the traffic logs ? Is it actually using syslog default port?

Can you try to configure policy for app - syslog and port any?

Mayur

M

Hello,

Have you tried setting CentOS to send syslog over 514/UDP?

Hi

@OtakarKlier   Not sure why I have to change my setup to make he firewall work :).

So the reason I am using TCP over 514 is that the reliabe transfer setup for syslog. I can guarantee messages being sent from one server to the central logging server.

The issue seems to be that the PA doesn't allow traffic to flow from client to server and back. because it can't id (my guess why the packets aren't flowing). 

initially I have it as 

any int ip to syslog server allow applicaiton syslog on port 514 udp and tcp.

UDP works fine. but when i tried my tcp connections. no go.

So did some investigating and found that PA application syslog doesn't recognise tcp/514 as syslog .. 

So I thought this is simple ! I do an applicaiton override for any int ip to syslog on tcp 514 say its syslog application.

that didn't seem to work !  when i look at current session they still show up as undecide .. so it just gets stuck and ages out.

So what next !   I have raised this with support .. 

but why do I have to change my setup to make the firewall work properly

Hi @OtakarKlier,

Seeing 'session aged out' does not mean that firewall is actually dropping traffic. There are multiple reasons for that. It may be the case there are some changes at server end itself. Also if you are trying to access it on TCP port, have you tried to telnet syslog server from client on tcp port?

Are you able to do so?

Mayur

M

Hi

Very true, but I had tcpdump on both side - client and server.

syn tick

syn ack tick

syn ack ack tick

then I see the client trying to push and then flush the tcp connection they don't actually make it to the syslog server.

So the word i got from support you can't use app override to a preconfigure app and override the port number... 

sigh ... tried that and its still not working 😞

Okay worked out the issue !

asym routing 

client -> external address

client -> fw -> syslog server via internal address -> loopback (external address !).

return packet was directly back to the client. the FW wasn't seeing all of the packets !'

• 8 replies
  • 5 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!