PA200 not booting properly

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA200 not booting properly

L0 Member

Hi there,

I recently picked up a couple of PA-200s for my lab. I was able to factory reset one of them and it seems to be working just fine. The other does not get any farther than this in the boot sequence (looks like it tries to boot twice)

{

Welcome to the PanOS Bootloader.

U-Boot 7.1.14.0-0 (Build time: Sep 18 2017 - 16:37:18)

Skipping PCIe port 0 BIST, reset not done. (port not configured)
Skipping PCIe port 1 BIST, reset not done. (port not configured)
BIST check passed.
MERLIN board revision major:1, minor:0, serial #: (omitted)
OCTEON CN6220-AAP pass 2.1, Core clock: 800 MHz, IO clock: 800 MHz, DDR clock: 6
67 MHz (1334 Mhz DDR), DFM clock: 667 MHz

Welcome to the PanOS Bootloader.

U-Boot 7.1.14.0-0 (Build time: Sep 18 2017 - 16:40:24)

Skipping PCIe port 0 BIST, reset not done. (port not configured)
Skipping PCIe port 1 BIST, reset not done. (port not configured)
BIST check passed.
MERLIN board revision major:1, minor:0, serial #: (omitted)
OCTEON CN6220-AAP pass 2.1, Core clock: 800 MHz, IO clock: 800 MHz, DDR clock: 6
67 MHz (1334 Mhz DDR), DFM clock: 667 MHz
}

No matter how long I leave it on it doesn't do anything else. I've pulled the DIMMs, swapped them, tried booting on just one, and verified that the machine gives the expected error when there is no memory inserted, so as far as I can tell the memory is fine. I haven't tried anything beyond that. It never boots far enough in for me to enter Maint. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. 

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Werewindle,

Give the following a try:

The procedure to recover the device from Merlin mode is the following :

(Connect console cable)

(Power on unit)

Wait for the string “Hit any key to stop autoboot” and a countdown from 5. Let it count down and reboot itself again; don't intervene yet.

Wait for the next “Hit any key to stop autoboot” string and hit enter to stop the countdown. Then enter the following sequence of commands at each subsequent shell prompt:

cpld_reg write 7 1

cpld_reg write 8 0

setenv boot 'bootoctlinux $(loadaddr) $(console) $(rw) $(rootfs) numcores=$(numcores) single mtdparts=$(mtdparts)'

run bootcmd

(Linux boots up here... it’ll take several seconds. Wait for Linux shell prompt “sh-3.1#”)

uboot_flash_install 200 mp

uboot_flash_install 200 mp fs

reboot

Thanks,

Yes I saw this, but unfortunately, as I stated previously, the load process stops before it gets that far. I never get a chance to halt autoboot, it just stops at/after the memory test.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!