PAN OS 3.0.8 to 3.1.1 upgrade and backup file question.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN OS 3.0.8 to 3.1.1 upgrade and backup file question.

Not applicable

Hi All,

I have question regarding PAN OS. Existing i am using PAN OS 3.0.8 and PAN Agent 3.0.2..

I want to upgrade to PAN OS 3.1.1 version and the model is PA-500.

1. Can i use back my existing configuration from 3.0.8 firmware to load on the new firmware 3.1.3?

2. Can i backup configuration on PAN Agent 3.0.2 and load it to  PAN Agent 3.1.2?

3. Whats the different between PAN Agent 3.1.2 LDAP and PAN Agent 3.1.2 AD?

4. My existing configuration have captive portal,if i upgrade the firmware,will it change any of my captive portal setting?

5. I heard the PAN OS 3.1.0 will make the PA-500 model 'hang' if we upgrade it.. Any other way to upgrade it to 3.1.3?

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Hi,

1. Can i use back my existing configuration from 3.0.8 firmware to load on the new firmware 3.1.3?

I didn't test it myself but I would think not. PANOS 3.1.x introduces new features which will be added in a backup. Existing features could be changed. My advise would be, to make a backup after and before each upgrade. You should do this also after a major change.

2. Can i backup configuration on PAN Agent 3.0.2 and load it to  PAN Agent 3.1.2?

No, you need to uninstall any existing agent software before upgrading to a higher version.

3. Whats the different between PAN Agent 3.1.2 LDAP and PAN Agent 3.1.2 AD?

Use the LDAP agent in environments with Novell (eDirectory) or Linux and AD Agent (Active Directory) with Microsoft.

4. My existing configuration have captive portal,if i upgrade the firmware,will it change any of my captive portal setting?

No. But still make sure you have a backup.

5. I heard the PAN OS 3.1.0 will make the PA-500 model 'hang' if we upgrade it.. Any other way to upgrade it to 3.1.3?

Maybe by CLI but will be the same. You could contact Palo Alto Support.

Hope you can go forward with these answers.

Cheers.  

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the info.

1. Can i use back my existing configuration from 3.0.8 firmware  to load on the new firmware 3.1.3?

I didn't test it myself  but I would think not. PANOS 3.1.x introduces new features which will be  added in a backup. Existing features could be changed. My advise would  be, to make a backup after and before each upgrade. You should do this  also after a major change.

Thats mean i had to reconfigure everything again if i want to upgrade from 3.0.8 to 3.1.3? So many rules and objects.... Any other way to load back the existing configuration into the new firmware?

The PAN OS upgrade won't destroy your current running-config. Just back it up and case anything goes wrong. In fact, the configuration file will get smaller.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!